Search This Blog

Wednesday, December 16, 2009

The Reader by Bernhard Schlink

Boy talk about depressing. This is the first book we read in the book club that I belong to. I did not feel the need to see the movie. Why be depressed twice –LOL. It was published in Germany in 1995 and won several awards in The US.

A teenage boy has a passionate affair with a woman with a deep dark secret. The book also deals with the difficulties younger generations had in comprehending the Holocaust. The story is intriguing and great to discuss in a book club.

I try not to be judgmental, but I cannot wrap my head around the fact that someone would rather die than bare the shame of a short coming.

1 comment:

  1. I love that you talk about the book club....speaking of the book club...I need to pick another book. T

    ReplyDelete