Search This Blog

Monday, March 29, 2010

Hot Tamara by Mary Castillo

Hot Tamara, Mary Castillo, 0060739894I’m trying to be kind to this new author and want to give her kudos, but I did not like this book at all. Chic-lit is not my thing anyway. I didn’t even want to finish it but I did for the sake of my blog. Hot Tamara got 5 our 5 stars on amazon from 16 reviews. It goes to show you different strokes for different folks. Some people thought it was a fast, fun, cute and romantic read and to some people it was disappointing, underdeveloped and a waste of money.

I did enjoy Tamara’s spunk and the fact that she took control of her life and went completely against the norm. I did not like Tamara's mother at all, she’s a control freak, rude and horrible to her daughter. I absolutely give credit to Castillo for bringing the Latino culture and family to the reading public.

Tamara Contreras is a twenty-six year Latina with an extremely controlling mother, Tamara decides to pursue her dreams and go at it on her own. Even with her mother's threats, that she will no longer speak to her (you are no longer my daughter), Tamara moves out. She gets a part-time job at an art gallery and a tiny apartment in Los Angeles. There is of course the forbidden love, the handsome Will Benavides, with whom she went to kindergarten, and has always been attracted to. 

2 comments:

  1. It sounds like Hot Tamara's mother is actually like a lot of mothers. While you may not like her, I am sure so many readers can relate.

    It's crazy how who our parents are, which we have NO control over, completely affect the course of our lives.

    This blog is really coming along! Yay!!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. You got to love the fact the character is named after you.
    I am not usually a fan of most chick-lit (at least not the newer decades-60's to present.) I will not pick up this book to read on my list but I think I might consider getting it for Sabrina who can relate and might like it.
    Thanks

    ReplyDelete