Search This Blog

Wednesday, July 28, 2010

An Acceptable Time by Madeleine L'Engle

I don’t remember what a wrinkle in time was about but I remember loving it as a kid. I have to re-read it because I’m not enjoying An Acceptable Time as much. I don’t think it’s because I’m older. It’s because the characters are not believable and don’t connect to each other which makes it impossible for me to connect to them. The story seems chopped up and doesn’t flow. I like religious fiction but this one was too preachy and predictable.

Young adult science fiction -
Polly takes some time from her large family and is spending the autumn with her grandparents. Zachary Gray comes to visit, a troubled college student whom Polly met in Greece and dated the year before. Then, while walking near her grandparents' Connecticut home, Polly travels through time, three thousand years ago, meeting druids Karralys and Anaral and a warrior named Tav.

3 comments:

  1. I assume this is for a younger audience, as I have never write the series so I would have to read more background bio before putting my comment as git.
    Perhaps it's not flexible to age as Harry Potter!

    ReplyDelete
  2. You're probably right, but I've read a lot of other teen stuff that are really great reasd-like the Percy and the Olympians series.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Did you read the NYT article about adults fighting (not physical but jokingly) with young adults on teen books. It's hilarious. Hey I read kids books-wink.
    I couldn't find the e-mail you button but have you read her work talk about immigrants: I like her first book not he second so much.
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Jhumpa_Lahiri

    ReplyDelete