Search This Blog

Thursday, December 30, 2010

Freedom by Jonathan Franzen

I kept thinking nothing about this book is inspiring. Half way through the book and all I wanted to do was slit my wrist, but I thought maybe it will get better towards the end, instead all I wanted to do was slit both wrists. 
I hate all the characters and wanted to stab them all, especially the protagonist Patty Berglund. I hate her husband Walter, their kids Jessica and Joey and Joey’s girlfriend Connie and Walter’s best friend Richard Katz. 
Towards the end, I was afraid to read the book because I knew it would put a damper on my day. I wanted to read something inspiring for my last blog of 2010: You know “Hang in there”; “Life is worth it”; “There is a light at the end of the tunnel”, nope not this book. I do not understand why this is one of the best novels Oprah has ever read. 
Frazen is a master of the English Language. The book is wonderfully written, witty, and funny. The story has a wealth of information but is so damn heavy and depressing. The book club members enjoyed the book. They saw it as a journey of life and people through the Berglund Family. It is very interesting how he presents “Freedom” and how he takes an in-depth look at people’s lives throughout the story.

Patty, Walter, Jessica and Joey Berglund are a Midwestern family from St. Paul. Patty is a basketball player turned housewife and Walter is a lawyer. Through their journey we see them slowly lose track of each other, themselves and their dreams. The story spans over 35 years and coincide with many important political issues. Frazen takes you through a detail look at how people live and become who they are.

1 comment:

  1. Violent post. Definitely does not sound like anything I need to read right now. It is amazing how much you DO read. Makes me want to step my game up!

    ReplyDelete