Search This Blog

Saturday, March 5, 2011

Outliers by Malcolm Gladwell

I picked up the book thinking I was going to learn how extra-ordinary some people are but only to understand that it takes a lot more. We must look at family, birth place, birth date, generation, culture, class, hard work, talent, and yes luck. It brings the saying “timing is everything” to new light.

 It seems to take at least ten thousand hours of practice in order to become a master or world-class expert at anything.

“Who we are cannot be separated from where we’re from” p.221 – Cultural legacies matter –

Jamaica has a very large Chinese population that since the nineteenth century has dominated the commercial life of the island. p. 275

The book is truly enlightening. I highly recommend it. I will be reading the “Tipping Point” and “Blink” soon.

1 comment:

  1. Hey, I didn't realize when we were talking that it is the same guy who wrote Blink. Sounds like an interesting read. I will give it a try.

    T

    ReplyDelete