Search This Blog

Sunday, August 7, 2011


I read the book in the mornings on my way to work; it takes me about twenty minutes on the train. The book would bring a calm sadness over me. The voice was steady, monotone and would flow continuously from chapter to chapter. I never felt invigorated or happy after reading (not recommended if you need a pick me up). I didn’t like any of the characters, but felt sorry for the life they experienced. The writing is well done and easy to read. I can almost hear the narrator speaking in my head. It is obvious Engel is a very good writer and very talented but the tone and the story itself is extremely morbid. She is able to pull you into the life of her characters with few words and though I did not like the book I was mesmerized by the haunted voice of the main character Sabina.

Sabina, born of Colombian immigrants and raised in New Jersey, tells you the story of her life (Vida). Sabina takes you through the events of her life in a slow non-chronological pace. She tells you of her family in the US and Colombia, her boy friends and friends. What was missing for me is I didn’t get a clear sense of what Sabina has learned and where her life is right now.

1 comment: