Search This Blog

Wednesday, July 11, 2012

Fifty Shades of Grey by E L James


Because there is so much buzz about this book, I took extra care in reading it. Paying attention to the details and how I felt every step of the way. It is a sexually charged love story.

My first reaction is; impressed. I like the detailed descriptions. The author has me intrigued and interested in Mr. Grey. I can already feel Ana’s excitement and fascination, but the sex is a bit raw for me. The anticipation I felt in the beginning of the book quickly turns to discomfort by the middle of the story. And yes the book is poorly written.

The book begins to lose my interest once Ana turns on the low self-esteem and the self pitying dialogue of “I’m not pretty enough”. When Grey starts to speak during sex, I have to laugh out loud. I can’t keep a straight face, and think, who says that during sex.

How many times does E.L. James have to tell us that he runs his fingers through his hair? Yes we know he has beautiful grey eyes and yes he is so gorgeous. It is disturbing that Ana is so completely obsessed with him. And why is she always murmuring and whispering. Why can’t she talk like a regular person? I get really annoyed with her by the end of the book. In the beginning Mr. Grey sounds intriguing and sexy but by the end he sounds sleazy and a bit yucky.

The book is entertaining, erotic, fun, and comical and dares to explicitly explore BDSM. I found it hard to take some of it seriously, but I enjoyed most of the book, especially the email exchanges.

According to Wikipedia “The series has sold around 20 million copies worldwide, with book rights having been sold in 37 countries, and set the record as the fastest-selling paperback of all time, surpassing the Harry Potter series.” 




2 comments:

  1. I am completely amazed that this surpassed Harry potter! I also read it and didn't like it. I could see the connection to twilight fanfiction as in a simpering, obsessed heroine who had no discernable talents and someone who completely gives up their life for a guy. Does she have no friends outside of her roommate and neighbor? Also the inaccessible family (spoiler of book 2). expected.
    But reading this made me feel like I was rereading Cybil- if I read her inner whatever( goddess, cheerleader, vixen, etc.) Did anything more time my inner queens gal was going to hurt her! Christian seemed too perfect- rich and talented, damaged and so willing to share. Ugh.
    This book is the equivalent of buying a lotto ticket and making it rich- little input and a big payout.
    T- what do you feel about the book being made into a movie?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I don't see how they can do any justice to the book if it is not a strong R or a soft X rated movie. The book has no substance. They will have to rewrite it because I don't see how they can follow the book as is. It's like a musical only with sex, without the music you have Nothing!!! At least Twilight had a story. It will be interesting to see who they pick to play Grey and Ana.

      Delete