Search This Blog

Friday, January 22, 2010

Tokyo fiancée by Amélie Nothomb


This is a quick read with a lot of surprises. I did not like the main female character. I thought she was selfish and dishonest. It was originally written in French and I think it may have lost something in translation. I enjoyed this book mostly for its raw honesty and it took place in Japan and gave me little tidbits about the culture.

Like I have to find out what okonomiyaki tastes like.
http://www.japan-guide.com/r/e100.html

Amélie a Belgian woman was born and raised in Japan. She returns in her early twenties, and tutors french to Rinri, her only student. She has relationship with this shy, young Japanese man and discovers that she doesn’t know how to explain her feelings for Rinri, who loves her deeply.

Amélie says, “Why must pleasure always have a price? And why must one always pay for sensual delight with the loss of original lightness?”

No comments:

Post a Comment