Search This Blog

Thursday, October 11, 2012

Hostage by Elie Wiesel


This is the kind of book that you read slowly because you do not want to miss one word. I knew I was going to like this book from the very first sentence: Someone is missing.

The tone of the story is quickly set. I am thoroughly engaged by the time I get to the second page and can’t wait to pick it up again once I've set it down.

The word that comes to mind is eloquent. The sentences are beautifully written and even though it is a sad story there is a comforting cadence and flow that makes you want to read more and more.

Wiesel addresses the power of the written word, the importance of having an heir and, of course, the Holocaust.

The story is about a Jewish man who is randomly kidnapped by Palestinian terrorists (an Arab and an Italian) in Brooklyn in 1975.





No comments:

Post a Comment