Search This Blog

Monday, February 15, 2010

Bel Canto by Ann Patchett

Another book club choice, this story reminds me of an opera. It’s so far fetched that only as an opera does it make sense to me. I did not like this book. I couldn’t wait to finish the story but I enjoyed the writers writing style. The story centers on Roxane whose voice is so beautiful her listeners are captivated in a trance and seem to forget that they are terrorists and hostages. I’m glad we read this one because I would not have read this one on my own.


The most powerful electronics executive in Japan, Mr. Hosokawa, is invited to celebrate his birthday in a South American country. Midway through the extravagant party, terrorists take the guests hostage, including a very famous soprano Roxane Coss. Ms. Pachett creates an interesting subculture with this group with twists and turns the reader never sees coming.

No comments:

Post a Comment