Search This Blog

Sunday, February 28, 2010

The Fountainhead by Ayn Rand

The Fountainhead was my introduction to Objectivism and Ayn Rand. I couldn't put the book down. Throughout the book I didn’t know whether I hated or loved the main character Howard Roark and I had a very difficult time understanding the heroine Dominique Francon. Rand was definitely a genius and very controversial. She uses Roark to represent the struggle of individualism over collectivism. I can’t claim to be an Objectivist but I can absolutely relate to the idea of integrity and standing for what you believe in.

Architect Howard Roark whose entire life is a testimony to his unyielding integrity falls in love with Dominique Francon, who marries his worst enemy, Peter Keating. Roark explains to Dominique that she must not fear society and never let it undermine her integrity.

The book takes us through his battle against society and how others relate to him illustrates Rand’s view of human character. The relationships between Roark and the other characters, makes it possible for the novel to be a romantic drama and a philosophical work. 

No comments:

Post a Comment